AT THIS MOMENT: OCTOBER 15, 2006

According to Elisabeth Condon

Formalism created an armature for artistic progression in the 20th century. Its progression culminated in new visual discoveries exemplified by Cezanne’s petit sensation and Philip Guston’s fleshy psychology. Formal innovations at their best revealed, as Louis Finkelstein noted in his 1971 Arts magazine essay Painterly, both technical solutions and glimmerings of possible meaning.



Now movies have sequels and artists have shows. Progress in both is measured by their ability to expand on, yet remain within range of a particular direction. Making things easier, technology replaces the armature of formal innovation with the conceptual tension between all-knowing and suspended disbelief. Manipulating a direction becomes conscious and deliberate. Though the model of artistic progression retains last century’s agenda to catalyze shifts in perception, disorientation and immersion become new metaphors for heightening awareness, offset by a broader knowledge base.

Barnaby Furnas and Ursula von Rydingvard’s exhibitions approach artistic progression in different ways. At Boesky, Furnas’ mural-size Red Sea paintings adapt 1970s pour and drip techniques to transform Greenbergian formalism into epic narrative, using speed as an alchemical agent. The paintings are knockouts, working doubly as abstraction and evocations of the Biblical parting of the sea. They offer the conceptual tension of seeing v. naming to verify their knowingness. Their scale beckons our immersion but their ambition remains external. They vacillate between narrative investigation and updated postwar abstraction, settling on neither, buffeting their viewers in waves of indecision. Ursula von Rydingsvard’s wall plates at Lelong resemble giant, gilded mirrors that are muffled in cedar wood. They are obviously constructed, physically imposing objects—yet inexplicable. Their visual memory is light, belying the scope and weight of their physical presence. They appear as fully digested emblems of an artistic imagination, un-nameable as objects but possessing a level of focus that convinces without naming, immersing their viewers into a new experience, not of self-reflection, but absorption into the mysteriousness of objects.



Finkelstein favored Manet’s probing marks as more investigative than Boldini’s suave brushwork. Less Protestant but equally faithful, I consider immersion progressive, commentary facile. To not know in the face of knowing seems silly, but imagination prevails. The efficacy of the aesthetic moment lies in the transformation of experience, private or social, resulting from the genuine perceptual change that occurs in the process of making.

Comments

Pretty Lady said…
They offer the conceptual tension of seeing v. naming to verify their knowingness. Their scale beckons our immersion but their ambition remains external. They vacillate between narrative investigation and updated postwar abstraction, settling on neither, buffeting their viewers in waves of indecision.

Sweetheart! Hello. So good to see you out and about!

I am undecided, darling. I am undecided as to whether or not I understand the above paragraph. I am undecided as to whether the phrase 'verify their knowingness' has Meaning, or is mere Poetic Abstraction. I am vacillating, darling, between a desire to investigate your narrative, and a postmodern impulse to dismiss it as mere reification of an inscrutable pulsation. I feel Buffeted, my dear. I believe I must go lie down.
ec said…
Seriously PL, and this is my last post--I so wanted to be transported by Furnas' massive waves--but smashed my nose against their flat surface: why? That is the question I attempt to answer (not too clearly, I guess) in the writing. I conclude the awareness of all that comes before in painting intervenes with his reach toward absolute immersion and this is related to progress in the gallery system, the need to be tied to expectations, crippling the ability for total immersion. I hope that clarifies. This could be a projection on my part in viewing Furnas' paintings, but, I did not experience that with von Rydingvard's work, hence the discussion.
I hope that clarifies.
I'd like to know how others experienced both exhibitions or either one.
C'est tout.
Pretty Lady said…
Seriously PL, and this is my last post--I so wanted to be transported by Furnas' massive waves--but smashed my nose against their flat surface: why?

AHHH! NOW we have an interesting, clear statement. Maybe you smashed your nose because it's a lame, pretentious project that didn't work; maybe not. I haven't been to see the show yet, so I don't know.

But why in the world do we feel we have to cover up our smashed noses with waves of polysyllabic, impenetrable, postmodern rhetoric? Does art which smashes our noses simultaneously intimidate us into dithering round like this, thinking that perhaps the flaw is in ourselves, and not the artwork, thus causing us to throw up a giant wall of intellectuality between us and it?
ec said…
I don't understand your assumption that response to an art work is akin to the revelation of a flaw in myself rather than the work. Snap judgments--"seen the show? yeah. Not so good" is barely sufficient. Digging deeper allows broader understanding of the work, forces that shape it, and sharpens one's convictions. The wall of intellectuality to which you refer may simply reflect my literary influences: Mary Baker Eddy and theory/art reviews stuck more than Sarah Davidson and Margaret Wise, though I like the last two better.
I care about poured paint personally, artistically, conceptually and historically. The promise of immersion with Furnas titillated and was met in Ursula von Rydingvard's work. This required historical consideration to address notions of progress, which is the purpose of Threshholding.
Pretty Lady said…
I don't understand your assumption that response to an art work is akin to the revelation of a flaw in myself rather than the work.

You did not understand that assumption because I did not make it. I made a case for the opposite situation, in fact, if you will go back and reread my question closely, paying attention to the train of logic contained within it.

You will note, dear EC, that despite the fact that David emailed his extensive mailing list with the link to this write-up, it has ended up with just the two of us holding a conversation, in a vast, silent cyber-chamber.

My hunch is that this is because the 'literary influence of theory/art reviews' is a touch off-putting. Or perhaps it is that most visual artists are not particularly verbal. Indeed, many of them can scarcely operate a computer, the poor dears.
ec said…
Ah PL, so when people get nothing from something, deficiency arises, which owes to the nothingnes of the encounter but perhaps echoes other deficiencies in their experience (I'm extrapolating)...just maybe, there's a reverberation of that dynamic in my thoughts on Furnas, von Rydingsvard and my conviction that the illogic of psychological immersion is the most progressive quality in art. Because you're right, we're really all alone. I can't help my desire to analyze my experience in front of a painting or a wooden grotto; it's valuable to me. I want to connect with others, but am not casual in my approach. Social deficiency.
I wish someone would discuss the idea of immersion, for not all artists believe in immersion as necesssary to the working process. But chasing after people to talk to me feels depressing. Thanks Pretty Lady for your flashlight of illumination. Though I think plenty of artists are bloggin' away.
Bye for now.